Who Requires a CONNECT DJ Licence?
Someone who makes copies of sound recordings onto a recordable digital medium (such as a computer hard drive, USB drive, MP3 player, smartphone, CD-Rs, external hard drive, etc.) for a commercial, non-personal use.
DJs using copies of sound recordings at public events, weddings, bars/clubs, etc.
Establishments using copies of sound recordings as background music in their venues (ex. bars, clubs, restaurants, retail stores, offices, theatres, arenas, etc)
Dance Studios / Fitness Instructors
Dance/fitness instructors using copies of sound recordings during classes, recitals, special events, etc.
Individuals or event planners using copies of sound recordings for a one-time public event
Annual Standard DJ Licence
valid for 1yr
$331.55 + tax
Single Event DJ Licence
valid for 24hrs
$50 + tax
If you already have an account with us, log in
and purchase your licence once inside your account.
Licensing Through a DJ Association or DJ Agent
If you are a member of a CONNECT licensed DJ Association, you may obtain the Standard DJ licence through your association at a preferred rate:
- Canadian Professional Disc Jockey Association Inc. (CPDJA) www.cpdja.ca
- Canadian Disc Jockey Association (CDJA) www.cdja.ca
- Mobile Entertainment Alliance Canada (via Dennis Hampson)
Approved Music Sources
- Store bought CDs
- iTunes downloads (in conjunction with a CONNECT licence)
- CONNECT licensed Music Supply Service & Video Pool content
- Digital feeds directly from the record companies (there may be a charge for this service)
Uses That Can’t Be Authorized by CONNECT
- Synchronization (embedding of sound recordings into visual presentations)
- Compiling sound recordings on digital mediums to use as “give-aways” or to sell
- Karaoke tracks (contact the karaoke production company re: licensing)
- Online streaming performances (eg. Facebook live, Instagram, Zoom)
Find a Licensed DJ
View a list of the current DJs who have licensed directly through CONNECT.
Search Licensed DJs
Reporting Unlicensed Activity
If you have reason to believe that a DJ/Venue is operating a business using unlicensed reproductions of sound recordings without a valid DJ licence, please complete the DJ/Venue Tip Sheet.
Submit DJ/Venue Tip Sheet