Frequently Asked Questions

If I sign an agreement with CONNECT Music Licensing, can I still license my repertoire directly?

Yes; CONNECT Music Licensing is a non-exclusive licensing agency. This means that you may sign direct agreements with anyone you wish. Any direct agreement you sign will take precedence over your agreement with CONNECT Music Licensing.

If I sign an agreement with CONNECT Music Licensing, does that mean that I don't own my repertoire anymore?

No; CONNECT Music Licensing does not, as a condition of its licence, require that you assign your copyright to us. CONNECT Music Licensing has a very limited mandate. By signing a CONNECT Music Licensing agreement you are giving us permission to collect, on your behalf, revenue received from:

Reproduction and exhibition of your music videos by video pools and broadcasters (television); reproduction of your sound recordings for lease only to commercial subscribers; neighbouring rights (communication to the public by telecommunication - e.g. commercial radio); private copying (the levy imposed on the sale of blank recording media that may be used to record sound recordings).

How much does it cost to be a member?

CONNECT Music Licensing is a cost-based organisation and we distribute all royalties collected to rights holders less our operating cost.  CONNECT's cost for the last couple of years has been in the 14% range.

I don't want CONNECT Music Licensing licensees to reproduce my sound recordings/music videos. I only want to become a CONNECT Music Licensing member to collect neighbouring rights and private copying remuneration. Can I do this?

Yes. If you wish to become a member only for the purposes of receiving neighbouring rights and private copying remuneration, let us know and we will make sure your name is not on the Schedule "A" of CONNECT Music Licensing members. If your name is not on this Schedule, our licensees may not reproduce your repertoire.

If you wish for only certain artists' repertoire to be restricted, please let us know the artists' name and record company, and whether the artists are to be restricted for audio, video, or both.

How should I notify CONNECT Music Licensing of changes/additions/deletions to my repertoire?

Music Videos

As soon as your company makes a new music video, you should contact CONNECT Music Licensing and inform them of the artist, title and record label. We will enter the title in our database to ensure that you receive payment.

Sound Recordings

As soon as your company makes a new sound recording, you should send a list of sound recordings to CONNECT Music Licensing. This list should include the following details:

Information Required by CONNECT Music Licensing To Determine Eligibility for Neighbouring Rights and Private Copying
*Information that must be provided in order to receive remuneration.
*Title a list of all song titles in CONNECT Music Licensing Member's repertoire
*Artist the name of the artist or group for each title
*Album Title
*Owner the owner of the recording is the person or company that owns or controls its remuneration rights in Canada (CONNECT Music Licensing member name)
*First Maker the person or company who made or paid for the arrangements of the recording
*Nationality of First Maker the country of the maker's headquarters or, if an individual, their citizenship or permanent residence
*Country of Fixation the country in which all the elements of a recording and its master were made
*Year of Fixation the year during which the master was made
Date of Release release date of the album
P Note
ISRC Code (International Standard Recording Code for each song listed on the album, the code begins with two letters (country code), followed by ten characters i.e.: CAN119900002 (please visit to apply for an ISRC Registrant code).
Catalogue Number
Composer only required for classical music

How does CONNECT Music Licensing determine who owns a sound recording/music video?

There are two ways for CONNECT Music Licensing to determine who owns a sound recording or music video:

When you submit your repertoire to us, we enter it into our database and attribute ownership to your company. If a licensee uses a sound recording/music video that is not in our system and informs us that you are the owner, we will input your company name as the owner in our database.

What happens if more than one company claims ownership in a sound recording/music video?

If more than one company claims ownership of a sound recording/music video, CONNECT Music Licensing will put the title on hold in our database to ensure that no money is paid out until the conflict is resolved, then contact both parties informing them of the conflict.

It is then up to the parties involved to contact each other and resolve the conflict. CONNECT Music Licensing has no ability to negotiate conflicts on behalf of our members. Once you have resolved the conflict, we require confirmation of the resolution by both parties. We will then update our database to reflect the correct owner, and release any funds associated with the title to the appropriate party.

I saw my music video being broadcast on TV, and I'd like to become a CONNECT Music Licensing member so I can collect money for its reproduction and exhibition. Can CONNECT Music Licensing pay me money for broadcasts of my video that took place prior to my becoming a CONNECT Music Licensing member?

CONNECT Music Licensing cannot pay out retroactively. We can only begin to collect money for use of sound recordings/music videos once we have received your company's signed agreement. If we don't have an agreement, we do not collect any money on your behalf; therefore there is no money to disburse.

What are CONNECT Music Licensing's payout periods?

September - November paid out end of March
December - February paid out end of June
March - May paid out end of September
June - August paid out end of December

CONNECT Music Licensing begins collecting and paying out revenue for use of your sound recordings/music videos once we receive your agreement and your repertoire information.

How do CONNECT Music Licensing licensees obtain copies of my repertoire?

There are two methods by which CONNECT Music Licensing licensees may obtain copies of your repertoire:

  1. purchase from a record store
  2. obtain promotional copies directly from your company

How do CONNECT Music Licensing licensees obtain permission to use my sound recordings/music videos?

Sound Recordings

If a licensee wishes to use your sound recording on a compilation CD or CD-R that is leased to commercial subscribers, the licensee must obtain permission from you prior to making any reproduction. You will receive a list from CONNECT Music Licensing's Clearance Administrator requesting your permission to use certain titles. If you deny approval, or do not reply to CONNECT Music Licensing's request, the licensee will not be permitted to reproduce the sound recordings.

Music Videos

If a licensee wishes to use your music video on a compilation VCD, DVD or VHS that is leased to commercial subscribers, the licensee must obtain permission from you prior to making any reproduction. You will receive a list from CONNECT Music Licensing's Clearance Administrator requesting your permission to use certain titles. If you deny approval, or do not reply to CONNECT Music Licensing's request, the licensee will not be permitted to reproduce the music video.

All other types of licensees do not need to obtain permission for reproductions, although certain restrictions apply: - Licensees may only reproduce sound recordings that have been released as singles to radio - Licensees may not reproduce entire albums - Licensees may not reproduce repertoire by any artist that appears on the restricted artist list.

Sometimes CONNECT Music Licensing licensees call me and ask me for direct approval for use of sound recordings/music videos. Can I give direct approval and then have CONNECT Music Licensing bill them under their CONNECT Music Licensing agreement?

No. CONNECT Music Licensing is a blanket, non-exclusive licensing agency and all of our agreements are standard (e.g. each licensee who has a CD-R agreement receives an identical agreement). The clearance process is set up so that all licensees submit their tracks to CONNECT Music Licensing on the same day, and the list is consolidated and sent by CONNECT Music Licensing to the record labels for approval. If a licensee contacts you directly, they are trying to gain a competitive edge over the other licensees. By approving a track for one licensee and not all licensees, competition issues may arise. If you would like to give one licensee approval ahead of all of the other licensees, you must charge them directly for use of that track.

If a licensee contacts you directly for approvals, please advise them to request approval from CONNECT Music Licensing through the clearance process. That way, all of our licensees have a level playing field, and some of your time will be saved.

Can CONNECT members receive money from collectives outside of Canada?

Yes, CONNECT has arrangements to ensure that public performance revenues are distributed to our members.  So far, the list of countries includes Brazil, Denmark, Finland, Greece/Cyprus, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, the UK, the Ukraine and the USA, with ongoing discussions with other countries.  You may already have direct relationships with some of these countries - just let us know which countries you would like us to collect for by using our secure members' portal.

What is withholding tax and how do I get a foreign tax credit from the US?

SoundExchange deducts withholding tax of 30% from its royalty payments when it distributes the funds, pursuant to US tax law.

To avoid the 30% withholding tax please make sure you have filled out an up to date W8BEN, W8BEN-E or W9 and sent it to us.




If you wish to file a US tax return so as to receive a possible refund of any withheld tax amounts, please see the guides below. Please note that as your entitlement to such refund varies and depends on many factors including your tax status, independent tax advice should be sought for determining whether and how to file a US tax return.

Below you will find links to informational guides prepared by Deloitte LLP for Re:Sound. These guides provide general information for non-US resident rights holders (including individuals and corporations) who receive royalty income from SoundExchange (collected by ReSound and distributed by Connect Music Licensing) and choose to prepare a US income tax return to obtain a refund of any tax that was over-withheld on the royalty income. These guides are not designed to address the US reporting of any other types of income that may be earned during the same tax year. If additional income is earned that must be reported on a US tax return, or if it is unclear whether such income should be reported on a US tax return, a professional tax advisor should be consulted. Please note that these guides are solely for informational purposes, and may not be relied upon by anyone in any manner or for any purpose without the express written consent of Deloitte. Connect Music Licensing, Re:Sound and Deloitte assume no responsibility for tax or any other consequences to anyone who obtains a copy of these guides. These guides are subject to other qualifications, which are set out at the end of the guides.

Guide for filing a U.S. Income Tax
Return for a Foreign Corporation

Guide de production de déclarations de
revenus américaines pour une société

Guide for filing a United States
Non-Resident Income Tax

Guide de production de
déclarations de revenus pour les
non-résidents des États-Unis


What entitles me to Public Performance and Equitable Remuneration?

Public Performance and Equitable Remuneration were extended to the makers of sound recordings and performers when Canada signed the Rome Convention and are paid out to Connect via an umbrella company called Re:Sound who collect on behalf of both maker and performer collectives.

Rome Convention

The 1961 Rome Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organizations is an international treaty under which countries agree that their neighbouring rights regulations will allow reciprocal treatment to rightsholders of other countries signatory to the Convention. As a signatory to the Rome Convention, Canada is open to agreements to pay foreign rightsholders whose sound recordings are broadcast or performed in this country, and vice-versa. About 58 countries have signed the Rome Convention, including the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Australia and Japan, but not the U.S.A.
Visit the Rome Convention Website here

Do I have to get a cheque or can I get Direct Deposit?

We want you to get your money faster!  We utilize Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT/Direct Deposit) for our Canadian members, so your money can be directly deposited into your bank account.  If you would like this please fill out the form below.

Download the EFT Form


Why is CONNECT directing their members to Re:Sound for the assignment of Remunerative Rights?

Re:Sound is the only organisation in Canada that collects neighbouring rights royalties directly from businesses according to its certified tariffs and private copying royalties directly from the Canadian Private Copying Collective for artists and labels (together these rights form your Remunerative Rights). Re:Sound pays the money it collects either to its member organisations on behalf of the rights holders they represent, or to artists and labels directly. Assigning these rights directly to Re:Sound will simplify data processing and result in faster distribution of remunerative rights payments for master rights owners.


What Countries Does CONNECT have reciprocal agreements with?

CONNECT has reciprocal agreements for remunerative rights, via Re:Sound with the following countries.








ACEMLA (Previously SPACEM)


Gramex Denmark


Gramex Finland
























IFPI Sverige



*United Kingdom




*The agreement with PPL is direct with CONNECT.

Can't find the information you're looking for?

Contact CONNECT music licensing and we will provide you with the information you need.