Disc Jockeys
Log In
HomeAbout FAQ Resources News Contact

Why is CONNECT directing their members to Re:Sound for the assignment of Remunerative Rights?

What happens if more than one company claims ownership in a sound recording/music video?

How do CONNECT licensees obtain copies of my repertoire?

What countries does CONNECT have reciprocal agreements with?

If I become a member of CONNECT, can I still license my repertoire directly?

Re:Sound is the only organisation in Canada that collects neighbouring rights royalties directly from businesses according to its certified tariffs and private copying royalties directly from the Canadian Private Copying Collective for artists and labels (together these rights form your Remunerative Rights). Re:Sound pays the money it collects either to its member organisations on behalf of the rights holders they represent, or to artists and labels directly. Assigning these rights directly to Re:Sound will simplify data processing and result in faster distribution of remunerative rights payments for master rights owners.

If more than one company claims ownership of a sound recording/music video, CONNECT will put the title on hold in our database to ensure that no money is paid out until the conflict is resolved, then contact both parties informing them of the conflict.

It is then up to the parties involved to contact each other and resolve the conflict. CONNECT has no ability to negotiate conflicts on behalf of our members. Once you have resolved the conflict, we require confirmation of the resolution by both parties. We will then update our database to reflect the correct owner, and release any funds associated with the title to the appropriate party.

There are three methods by which CONNECT licensees may obtain copies of your repertoire:

  1. Purchase from a legal music retailer
  2. Obtain promotional copies directly from your company
  3. DMDS

Yes; CONNECT is a non-exclusive licensing agency. This means that you may sign direct agreements with anyone you wish. Any direct agreement you sign will take precedence over your agreement with CONNECT.